Tips on Baking with Protein
Welcome to the world of baking with protein! There is a learning curve - but don't get discouraged, some quick tips and some experimenting here and there and you'll be an expert in no time! If it’s your first time baking with protein, this section will be invaluable to get you on your way to baking like a pro.
- Get a silicone cupcake pan, donut pan, bread pan...whatever you’re baking in! It doesn’t get as hot as metal, and helps prevent drying around the edges. Always make sure to spray your baking dish with a little nonstick spray, or line with parchment paper.
- If you’re baking for the next day, keep the cupcakes in the silicone cupcake molds to keep them from drying out (they make individual ones that are great for this). Pro tip: if you frost them too, that helps them retain moisture even better. If you’re not a frosting fan, just put them in an air tight container.
- If you are making mug cakes, use a big enough mug that there’s room for the cake to grow, this will save you from a big mess in your microwave. If your cake gets too near to the top of the mug before it’s done, simply stop the microwave and microwave in 5 second increments until it’s done. But don’t dry it out, dry Protein Cake is not good!
- While we’re on the topic of mug cakes, we suggest wrapping a kitchen towel around (not over the top) your mug as you microwave. This helps to insulate the cake so it doesn’t dry out on the outside, and leave the inside undone. We’ve a highlight on our Instagram page (with pictures) with instructions on how to microwave your cake!
- Make sure you have a cake batter consistency. If you start with a dry batter, you’ll end up with a dry cake.
- Adding nut butters (like almond or cashew) will make a richer cake, while adding apple sauce or Greek yogurt will add moisture, but can create a denser cake.
- If your macros allow for it, adding a tablespoon of cake mix or pudding mix can make a more traditional tasting cake.
- You can add fun extras to the batter like sprinkles chocolate chips, coconut flakes, or other things you enjoy, and try topping them with some icing and your favorite cereal for that extra crunch.